1. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) released their 2012 list of the 12 most and 15 least pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables on the market (http://current.com/13da6kc). Print and bring the EWG's 2012 Shopper's Guide with you to help you make smart decisions when shopping for produce. You can also download the free app (Dirty Dozen) to your phone. Whenever possible, try to buy organic when purchasing the 'Dirty Dozen'. It's OK to choose conventional when buying the 'Clean 15'. Either way, make sure to thoroughly wash your produce before eating.
2. Now that you know when you should buy organic and when it's OK to buy conventional, here's a handy shopping tip to help you identify organic, conventional or genetically modified produce:
- Conventional produce uses a 4 digit PLU code (produce look up code). Ex. 4128
- The PLU code for organic produce always starts with a 9 followed by a 4 digit code. Ex. 94128
- The PLU code for genetically modified produce (avoid these!) always starts with an 8 followed by a 4 digit code. Ex. 84128
3. All of the information, marketing, ads and studies out there about food + nutrition can be confusing. Fooducate is the perfect solution to help you make smarter choices at the grocery store. All you have to do is scan or type in the UPC code of any product and Fooducate will give the product a grade and will also offer you healthier alternatives. You can download Fooducate to your iPhone or Android or you can check out their website for the same great resources.
FREE iPhone app http://bit.ly/fdctapp
FREE Android app http://bit.ly/fdctap2
Share YOUR favorite healthy eating tips in the comments section below!
Have a Healthy Day,