Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Make the next right decision....

This past weekend I was in Portland, Maine for our annual Olsen/Sanders family Lobsterfest. 


Even though we drove 6 hours each way in the car and stayed in a hotel without a fridge and with no Whole Foods in sight, I am so disciplined that I still always made the right choices and ate only healthy foods and ate only when I was hungry. 

Ha.... if only that were true.

When I 'm at home, I pack my own lunches, keep my fridge stocked with healthy foods, plan my meals in advance and cook as much as possible. I do this because it eliminates me having to decide what to eat every time I'm hungry. If I have to make the "right choice" whenever I have a craving, chances are that eventually I will break down and pick the unhealthy, easy or cheap option that may not be best for me. Planning ahead helps me to avoid these temptations.

Eating while on the go can be more challenging though because you don't always have control over your environment.  However, my sisters and I had every intention of eating well on the car ride up.  We packed things that we eat (and enjoy) on a regular basis... raw veggies, hummus, sliced strawberries, fresh peaches, almonds and walnuts.

However, we also packed Stacy's Pita Chips and Boursin Cheese. 

Guess what we ate (the chips and cheese) and guess what we had to throw away (the fruits and veggies) when we arrived? 

The rest of the weekend wasn't much better... I indulged in (more) chips, hash browns, some cocktails and even a donut!  So after 3 days of questionable food choices and no time to get to the grocery, I have had a hard time getting back on track this week. 

I am sure you have heard the saying that "one bad decision leads to another."   For example, how many of you have ever had a piece of leftover birthday cake for breakfast and thought "Since I already ate a piece of cake, it doesn't really matter what I eat the rest of the day."  A lot of you, I'm sure.  There is this widespread rationale that if you make a poor choice, then the rest of the day/week/month is shot.  I can't tell you how many times I have said "I will start over tomorrow." 

We all make poor decisions or give in to cravings every once in awhile. And that's fine... healthy even.  But, this all or nothing mentality is not.  If you make a choice to eat a lobster dipped in butter (which I may have indulged in this weekend) don't think that what you eat the rest of the day doesn't matter.  Make the commitment to make the next right choice.  If you eat one too many slices of pizza or even a brownie sundae, have a green smoothie or a fresh salad for your next meal or snack on fresh fruit and vegetables. 

Being healthy isn't an all or nothing proposition.  Vow to make the right choices more often than not.  And when you slip up, don't beat yourself up about it and scrap the rest of your day, just make the next right choice and get back on track.

Have a Healthy Day!


2 comments:

  1. the pita chips and boursin were so good. it's true though - instead of making the whole day be a wash after one bad choice, make the next right choice. good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, i love this post - speaks right to me! i will take the blame for the boursin and pita chips...hehe. and the salsa, don't forget the salsa all weekend!!!! you have inspired me to think more about my choices and to realize it is within my control and that eventually there has to be a tomorrow when i say or think, "i'll be better tomorrow...".

    ReplyDelete