Monday, September 26, 2011

Scarlet Quinoa Salad

Last week, I got beets, radishes, cilantro and an onion from my CSA.  I really didn't think about using them all together until I found a recipe for quinoa salad that did just that.  As you know, I'm not so great at following recipes exactly as they're written but I used it as a guideline and made a few adjustments to suit my taste.

Scarlet Quinoa Salad
(Adapted from Eden Organic Red Quinoa recipe)
1 cup organic red quinoa, washed and rinsed
1 1/4 cups water (to cook quinoa)
2 medium beets, cooked, peeled and diced
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 TBSP fresh lime juice
6 red radishes, sliced into half-moons
1/2 minced red onion
1/4 cup organic dried cranberries
1/8 cup crushed almonds
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (adjust to taste)
sprinkle with pepper & sea salt to taste

Cook quinoa according to directions.  Boil or roast beets until tender (approx 45 minutes).  Once beets are cool, peel and dice.  Toss all ingredients in a bowl.  Serve and enjoy!  Makes approximately 6 1-cup servings.

Tip: This is great to make in advance and keep in the fridge as an easy option for lunches and dinners during the week.


~Have a Healthy Day~



1 comment:

  1. i need to get a mesh strainer to wash the quinoa ... the recipe sounds good, i want to try it!

    ReplyDelete