Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Mint Condition

As a child we had an herb garden right outside our kitchen window and I can remember picking fresh mint to put in our ice tea in the summers.  The smell of mint still reminds me of childhood.

Every time I see fresh mint at the store I'm inspired to pick up a bunch.  Saldy, the first few times I bought it, the leaves wilted and turned black less than 24 hours after I put it in the fridge.  I finally figured out the secret to keeping it fresh and healthy!  If you love mint, this will be a lifesaver.

1. Fill a glass or jar with water.

2. Plant base of mint stems in water

3. Put a large zip lock bag loosely over the top (without sealing the bottom)

4. Place in the fridge in a spot where it's not too cold
(the door or front of a shelf is best as the back of the fridge tends to be the coldest)

5. Change the water every 2-3 days and your mint should last up to a week

 Some of my favorite ways to use mint are in summery drinks (try seltzer with mint leaves and a strawberry garnish or add mint leaves to lemonade), smoothies (add raspberries, lime juice and mint to your regular green smoothie) and veggie spring rolls (be on the lookout for the recipe this Friday).

Have a healthy day!

1 comment:

  1. Kristin, I passed on the "One Lovely Blog" award to you. See my blog to claim. xoxo
    www.colorfulcorporate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete