Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The one-sided Love affair that made me sick...

“I could never eat healthy. I just loooove food too much.”  I heard a girl walking by me on the street the other day declare this to her friend.  I wanted to turn around and say to her "I used to think that too!!!  I thought I was in love with pizza, French fries with blue cheese and, if we’re being honest here, cupcakes and raw cookie dough.  But don’t worry… It’s not true!  You CAN eat healthy AND enjoy it!  Isn’t that great news???”  But I decided that she would probably think I was crazy if I, a complete stranger, said that to her so I showed some restraint and kept walking.

When I used to plant myself on the couch with a bag of Tostitos and a jar of salsa after a long day at work, I would tell myself that I deserved it and that I earned it and I was sure that it would make me feel better.  But, in reality I always felt pretty shitty afterwards.  I loved this “food” but it didn’t love me back.  Eating it made my stomach hurt.  It made me feel bloated, tired and full of guilt.  This one-sided love affair was killing me… literally.  It was giving me high cholesterol and making me fat, stressed out, lazy and miserable.  So was this really love?

Slowly, as I started learning more about nutrition and making small changes, I figured out that healthy foods CAN taste good and they make you feel a million times better than eating crap.  If I really could say something to that girl on the street who looooves food soo much that she could never eat healthy, I would say this:  Clinging to your dead-end romance with junk food is not healthy.  It’s time to move on.  To find food that will love you and nurture you back.  So ditch the processed crap, start eating real, healthy, whole foods and then, you’ll discover what true love really is.     

Speaking of, let me introduce all of you to a potential new love interest... Lentil + Sweet Potato loaf. Click here for the recipe. I made it last week and it was really good!  Lentils are packed with iron, calcium, B vitamins and protein.  These legumes are also full of fiber which helps lower cholesterol, makes them a great source of sustainable energy and helps to prevent heart disease If that's not true love, I don't know what is.  I think I have a new crush ♥! For more healthy + tasty recipes, click here.
  


 
Love + Lentils,
 

1 comment:

  1. As your roommate for several years, I can testify to your "one-sided love affair" with the food you "deserved". And sometimes I was guilty too - joining you on the couch and munching away. Your lifestyle -and career! -changes are significant and inspiring. I'm so proud of you and I'm so appreciative of all of the information you share with me and others!
    Love + Lentils back at ya ~Lauren


    PS: I'm going to try this lentil + sweet potato loaf soon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete