Monday, July 11, 2011

Fresh=


Several people have asked me how I came up with the name Fresh Equation for my blog, so I thought I would share the answer with all of you. 

But first, I want you to answer a question for me:

A Healthy person is someone who:

A. exercises and is in good shape


B. eats healthy foods


C. is happy


D. has lots of energy

E. is supported by friends and family




F.  enjoys his/her career



The answer is none of the above.  Health isn't any of these things.  Health is ALL of these things. 

This idea that health is more than just following the latest fad diet or putting in 30 minutes on the treadmill is what attracted me to the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN).  Joshua Rosenthal, the founder of IIN, sums up this philosophy very well in his book Intergrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health & Happiness. 

"Our personal tastes and preferences, natural shapes and sizes, blood types, metabolic rates and genetic backgrounds influence what foods will and won't nourish us.  So, when the experts say 'tomatoes are goods for you' or 'read meat is unhealthy,' it's too much of a generalization.  One person's foods is another person's poison, and that's why fad diets don't work in the long run.  They are not based on the reality that we all have different dietary needs... The more I observed human behavior, the more convinced I became that the key to health is understanding each person's individual needs, rather than following a set of pre-determined rules.  I saw plenty of evidence that having happy relationships, a fulfilling career, an exercise routine and a spriritual practice is even more important to health than daily diet."

Please don't misunderstand, healthy eating is very important. But think about it, if you're stressed out at work or don't have a strong support system, it's going to have a negative effect on your health... no matter how much broccoli you eat. 

So, when I was on a run one morning, I was thinking about all of the things that really influence our Health:  Food, a Fulfilling Career, Relationships, Relaxation, Exercise, Spirituality and Sleep.  If you really examine each of these areas, you can usually find the answers to fix whatever is "ailing" you and keeping you from being healthy. 

Food/Fulfilling Career, Relationships/Relaxation, Exercise/Emotions, Spirituality/Sleep/Stress Levels = Health + Happiness

Taking this holistic approach will lead you to a happier, healthier and more balance life. And that's the Fresh Equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment